Re: 463 kernel developers missing!

From: Paul Rolland
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 09:08:01 EST

Hello,

First, please note that my name and addresses are _in_ the list published
by Jon.

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:43:12 +0200
Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 30-07-08 09:24, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > Whether Jon's patch is a good idea one might discuss
>
> <discussion>it is not</discussion>

And you dare using <discussion> ? Where is this a discussion ?

> > but as soon as someone puts an email address into a kernel commit
> > Google will anyway find it:
>
> It will and note this is not a privacy issue "as such" at least for me
> (for rmk rewriting addresses is a privacy issue, directly or via law,
> and whether or not needed in this specific example or not)

[...]
> Then Jon comes along, puts _all_ addresses in content inside a hugely
> publicized, widely web-indexed tree and fucks it up.
>
> Anyways... yesterday I had to turn the fan on my monitor to keep it from
> damage in this bloody furnace while today it's some 5 degrees cooler and
> the fan's aimed at me again so I'll stop cursing and shouting now. But
> still a damn bad idea.

Sorry, I don't agree. First, because using Google to collect a list of emails
is damn easy, and wether this list is handy or not is not changing for people
using it for Spam.
Second, because it takes just a few seconds to extract it nearly as complete
as Jon's version from git : git log | grep Author: | sort | uniq -c
gives something very useful : about 5800 emails. So let's not consider Jon is
saving a complicated job for people searching for this list.

Linux is an open project. Everything that's related to it is open, and public.
If you don't want your name/email to be associated with it, that's another
issue.

We could blame Jon for publishing the his list on the list without prior
information, but not for creating it.
And I certainly would like to see the .mailmap appear at my next git pull ;)

Regards,
Paul

--
Paul Rolland E-Mail : rol(at)witbe.net
CTO - Witbe.net SA Tel. +33 (0)1 47 67 77 77

Please no HTML, I'm not a browser - Pas d'HTML, je ne suis pas un navigateur
"Some people dream of success... while others wake up and work hard at it"

"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too
young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or 15
years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when they
took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"
--Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation