Re: Linux v2.6.27-rc1: problem with firmware stuff

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 16:47:55 EST

On Tuesday, 29 of July 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> It's two weeks (and one day), and the merge window is over.
>
> Finally. I don't know why, but this one really did feel pretty dang busy.
> And the size of the -rc1 patch bears that out - at 12MB, it's about 50%
> bigger than 26-rc1 (but not that much bigger than 24/25-rc1, so it's not
> like it's anything unheard of).
>
> The pure size of the -rc's _is_ making me a bit nervous, though. Sure, it
> means that we are good at merging it all, but I have to say that I
> sometimes wonder if we don't merge too much in one go, and even our
> current (fairly short) release cycle is actually too big.
>
> Anyway, that's a discussion for some other event.
>
> Much of -rc1 was in linux-next, but certainly not everything. We'll see
> how that whole thing ends up evolving - it certainly didn't solve all
> problems, and there was some bickering about things that weren't there
> (and some things that mostly were ;), but maybe it helped.
>
> There's a ton of new stuff in there, but at least personally the
> interesting things are the BKL pushdown and perhaps the introduction of
> the lockless get_user_pages_fast(). The build system also got updated to
> allow moving the architecture include files ("include/asm-xyz") into the
> architecture subdirectories ("arch/xyz/include/asm"), and sparc seems to
> have taken advantage of that already.
>
> But those changes are just small details in the end. As usual, the bulk of
> changes are all to device drivers (roughly half, as usual), with the arch
> directory amounting to about half of the remainder. Dirstat:
>
> 3.2% arch/arm/
> 9.2% arch/ppc/
> 24.6% arch/
> 5.2% drivers/char/drm/
> 6.3% drivers/char/
> 4.5% drivers/gpu/drm/
> 4.5% drivers/gpu/
> 4.6% drivers/media/video/
> 5.5% drivers/media/
> 3.0% drivers/net/wireless/
> 10.7% drivers/net/
> 6.4% drivers/usb/misc/
> 4.7% drivers/usb/serial/
> 12.9% drivers/usb/
> 51.2% drivers/
> 4.4% firmware/
> 3.7% fs/
> 9.2% include/
>
> where the bulk of that fs/ update is the merge of the UBI filesystem, to
> pick one fairly sizeable chunk outside of arch or drivers (there's omfs
> too, but that's tiny in comparison).
>
> Other stuff? tracing. firmware loading.

That one happens to break things for me badly:

rafael@chimera:~/src/linux-2.6> make O=../build/mainline/chimera -j5
GEN /home/rafael/src/build/mainline/chimera/Makefile
CHK include/linux/version.h
CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
Using /home/rafael/src/linux-2.6 as source for kernel
CALL /home/rafael/src/linux-2.6/scripts/checksyscalls.sh
CHK include/linux/compile.h
Building modules, stage 2.
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready (#208)
MODPOST 564 modules
IHEX2FW firmware/emi26/loader.fw
Failed to open destination file: Permission deniedihex2fw: Convert ihex files into binary representation for use by Linux kernel
usage: ihex2fw [<options>] <src.HEX> <dst.fw>
-w: wide records (16-bit length)
-s: sort records by address
IHEX2FW firmware/emi26/bitstream.fw
IHEX2FW firmware/emi26/firmware.fw
Failed to open destination file: Permission deniedihex2fw: Convert ihex files into binary representation for use by Linux kernel
usage: ihex2fw [<options>] <src.HEX> <dst.fw>
-w: wide records (16-bit length)
-s: sort records by address
make[2]: *** [firmware/emi26/loader.fw] Error 1
make[2]: *** [firmware/emi26/bitstream.fw] Error 1
Failed to open destination file: Permission deniedihex2fw: Convert ihex files into binary representation for use by Linux kernel
usage: ihex2fw [<options>] <src.HEX> <dst.fw>
-w: wide records (16-bit length)
-s: sort records by address
make[2]: *** [firmware/emi26/firmware.fw] Error 1
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make: *** [sub-make] Error 2

Thanks,
Rafael