Re: directory sort order no longer beginning with "." and ".."?

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 13:24:36 EST

David Collier-Brown wrote:
Alas, this implementation side-effect dates back to v6[1], and is so
depended upon that even CD filesystems, which are by no means Unix-like,
contain dummy "." and ".." entries[2].

Er, no, I wouldn't call '.' and '..' implementation side-effects in themselves. They're one of the particularly clever parts of the filesystem/namespace design. I would agree that the specific implementation using "link" and "unlink" was a bit of a hack, and adding proper "mkdir" and "rmdir" made the world a better place.

I'd recommend either reproducing it or starting a project
to hunt down and kill all the programs which assume it (;-))

Well, '.' and '..' are guaranteed to be somewhere in a (linked) directory, so all filesystems are required to make sure they exist somewhere, and programs which expect them to exist are perfectly within their rights. But not necessarily the first two entries.