Re: Q: wait_task_inactive() and !CONFIG_SMP && CONFIG_PREEMPT

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 08:18:16 EST

On 07/28, Roland McGrath wrote:

> I can't speak to the kthread case. I suspect that set_task_cpu() is always
> safe on !SMP PREEMPT, and that's why it's fine.

Yes, kthread_bind() is fine, it changes nothing in *k if !SMP.

> > I refer to this patch of the comment:
> >
> > If a second call a short while later returns the same number, the
> > caller can be sure that @p has remained unscheduled the whole time.
> >
> > The dummy version always returns the same number == 1.
>
> Right. For the general case where this is the contract wait_task_inactive
> is expected to meet, it does matter. I think task_current_syscall() does
> want this checked for the preempted uniprocessor case, for example.
>
> > So. I think that wait_task_inactive() needs "defined(SMP) || defined(PREEMPT)"
> > and the dummy version should return ->nvcsw too.
>
> Is this what we want?
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_SMP
> extern unsigned long wait_task_inactive(struct task_struct *, long);
> #else
> static inline unsigned long wait_task_inactive(struct task_struct *p,
> long match_state)
> {
> unsigned long ret = 0;
> if (match_state) {
> preempt_disable();
> if (p->state == match_state)
> ret = (p->nvcsw << 1) | 1;
> preempt_enable();
> }
> return ret;
> }
> #endif

I dont think this is right.

Firstly, the above always fails if match_state == 0, this is not right.

But more importantly, we can't just check ->state == match_state. And
preempt_disable() buys nothing.

Let's look at task_current_syscall(). The "target" can set, say,
TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE many times, do a lot of syscalls, and not once
call schedule().

And the task remains fully preemptible even if it runs in
TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE state.

Let's suppose we implement kthread_set_nice() in the same manner
as kthread_bind(),

kthread_set_nice(struct task_struct *k, long nice)
{
wait_task_inactive(k, TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE);

... just change ->prio/static_prio ...
}

the above is ugly of course, but should be correct correct even
with !SMP && PREEMPT.

I think we need

#if defined(CONFIG_SMP) || defined(CONFIG_PREEMPT)
extern unsigned long wait_task_inactive(struct task_struct *, long);
#else
static inline unsigned long wait_task_inactive(struct task_struct *p,
long match_state)
{
if (match_state && p->state != match_state)
return 0;
return p->nvcsw | (LONG_MAX + 1); // the same in sched.c
}

Oleg.