Comments on UV tlb flushing

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 20:29:22 EST

I'm just reworking the x86 tlb code to use smp_call_function_mask, and I see how the UV tlb flushing hooks in. A few things occur to me:

1. There should be a CONFIG_X86_UV to select this code. tlb_uv.o is
around 6k, which is not trivial overhead to subject every x86_64
kernel to.
2. CONFIG_X86_UV should either depend on or select CONFIG_PARAVIRT.
3. You should hook into paravirt_ops to enable your tlb-flush code. That is, in - say - uv_bau_init() you do
"pv_mmu_ops.flush_tlb_others = uv_flush_tlb_others". This removes
a test/branch in the generic code. Using paravirt_ops may open
other opportunities to put UV-optimised functions in place without
having to modify generic code.

My understanding is that the UV hardware has some kind of payload-carrying IPI mechanism, which is a capability could be useful to express in a higher-level way in the kernel. Certainly I could imagine using it in a virtual environment as a way to do inter-VCPU messaging with less context switch overhead.

Thanks,