Re: combinatorial explosion in lockdep

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 18:50:22 EST

David Miller wrote:
The triggering event seems to be kstopmachine as done by the first
module load. This seems to create the situation where we do double RQ
locking on essentially all the run queues, in order to move the
kstopmachine threads around to their proprer cpus. I think this is
what starts to make the lockdep dependency chains huge.

Does Rusty's stop_machine rewrite which puts the threads on the correct cpus to start with at least mitigate the symptoms?