Re: kernel won't boot on a Cyrix MediaGXm (Geode )

From: Samuel Sieb
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 14:01:14 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

The only critical tweak I found is the one that changes the "Performance Control Incrementer" because its settings depends on the CPU's core frequency. Maybe this tweak should be removed, because the BIOS (hopefully) set it in a way the hardware supports.
This was the only line that was a problem. See the other branch of this thread with Juergen Beisert.

any patch we should pick up to make your box boot?

Are you suggesting I should make the patch or you're just asking which lines? What I did to make a kernel that boots was to comment out the line that calls the incrementor setup function. It sounds like the stepping 2 version doesn't have the problem, so if possible could you call the function based on it not being a stepping 1 CPU?