Re: page swap allocation error/failure in 2.6.25

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 06:05:00 EST

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 16:07 +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 09:40:01AM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 17:20 +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> > > Hi
>
> [snip]
>

> > Its harmless if it happens sporadically.
> >
> > Atomic order 2 allocations are just bound to go wrong under pressure.
> can you point me to any doco that explains this ?

An order 2 allocation means allocating 1<<2 or 4 physically contiguous
pages. Atomic allocation means not being able to sleep.

Now if the free page lists don't have any order 2 pages available due to
fragmentation there is currently nothing we can do about it.

I've been meaning to try and play with 'atomic' page migration to try
and assemble a higher order page on demand with something like memory
compaction.

But its never managed to get high enough on the todo list..