RE: ACPI OSI disaster on latest HP laptops - critical temperature shutdown

From: Moore, Robert
Date: Fri Jul 25 2008 - 18:19:40 EST

The goal for ACPICA has gone from being a complete "reference
implementation" of the ACPI specification to being a "Windows
bug-for-bug compatible" ACPI implementation.

So when we report _OS("Microsoft Windows NT") and respond OK to all _OSI
queries with Microsoft strings, we mean it.

Bob

Linux
>Kernel Mailing List; Andi Kleen; Christian Kornacker
>Subject: Re: ACPI OSI disaster on latest HP laptops - critical
temperature
>shutdown
>
>Len Brown schreef:
>> Thomas,
>>
>> re: OSI(Windows...)
>>
>> Linux will continue to claim OSI compatibility with Windows
>> until the day when the majority of Linux systems
>> have passed a Linux compatibility test rather than
>> a Windows compatibility test.
>>
>> Re: OSI(Linux)
>>
>> I've looked at O(100) DSDT's that look at OSI(Linux),
>> and all but serveral systems from two vendors do it by mistake.
>> They simply copied it from the bugged Intel reference code.
>>
>> OSI(Linux) will _never_ be restored to Linux, ever.
>>
>Just out of curiosity, let's imagine that today HP decides to fix its
>BIOS. What would be the way to do it? Of course, without putting
>additional problems when Windows is booted.
>
>What they would want is to provide workarounds for each given version
of
>Windows and provide a completely ACPI-compliant version when Linux is
>running. I fail to see how it is possible possible to do that today.
>Well... they could detect Linux by checking that several OSI's for
>Windows pass, but that would be really a nasty kludge.
>
>So, am I understanding correctly that we are in a desperate need for a
>good OSI solution? Until then, we can only bash and complain at the
BIOS