Re: PAGE_ALIGN() compile breakage

From: Andrea Righi
Date: Fri Jul 25 2008 - 14:34:44 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:14:55 +0300 Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ideally, all headers should be self-contained. IOW, they should #include everything they use.

Yup. And the core reason for our headers mess is that the headers do
too much stuff, and cnosequently demand a large dependency trail.

But TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE in asm/processor.h on some architectures uses PAGE_ALIGN() that got moved from asm/page.h to linux/mm.h .

Probably mm.h should be split up - put the simple things (usually
declarations) into one "early" header file and leave the more
heavyweight things (usually implementations) in mm.h.

IMHO splitting mm.h is probably the best solution. If I'm not wrong
Paul (CCed) already suggested to move the stuff like PAGE_ALIGN() outside
mm.h the first time I submitted this patch.

In this way we could even include the "lightweight" mm.h (mm_define.h??)
in all the asm-*/page.h, preserving also the backward compatibility.

-Andrea