Re: Recommendation on an eSATA card well supported by Linux withbuilt-in drivers and that supports hot plug

From: Filipe Brandenburger
Date: Fri Jul 25 2008 - 11:34:47 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Robert Hancock wrote:
>> Most AHCI controllers are built into chipsets, but I know that JMicron
>> has some chips which can be found on add-in cards which are AHCI.
>
> They work, and they're cheap.

That's great, I actually stumbled upon them. I believe AHCI is really
the way to go, open standard, excellent support in kernel, probably will
live very long.

However, I'm having a hard time finding a brand that uses these chips. I
see that apparently there is one called "VIBE" that uses it, but I got
this information from an online store and I didn't even find the
vendor's website...

Would you be also so kind as to recommend an actual eSATA card that uses
the JMicron chip? Preferrably one that you have and use on a daily basis.

Excuse me if the subject matter has gone way off-topic for this list,
however the advice is being great.

Thanks,
Filipe