Re: merging branches remotely with git?

From: Jack Howarth
Date: Thu Jul 24 2008 - 18:48:20 EST

Daniel,
If I execute...

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mcgrof/my-wireless-testing.git
cd my-wireless-testing
git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git

I get the error...

You asked me to pull without telling me which branch you
want to merge with, and 'branch.master.merge' in
your configuration file does not tell me either. Please
name which branch you want to merge on the command line and
try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
See git-pull(1) for details on the refspec.

If you often merge with the same branch, you may want to
configure the following variables in your configuration
file:

branch.master.remote = <nickname>
branch.master.merge = <remote-ref>
remote.<nickname>.url = <url>
remote.<nickname>.fetch = <refspec>

See git-config(1) for details.

All I want to do is merge the latest linus-kernel git into the
my-wireless-testing git so that I can have both the ath9k drivers
and the alsa 1.0.17 drivers. What do I need to do to eliminate the
above error?
Jack
ps Which git represents the git patches (like 2.6.26-git11) which are
placed as patches on the www.kernel.org web page under the section
The latest snapshot for the stable Linux kernel tree is:.