Re: 22bb1be4d27... breaks hal (and NM)

From: Alessandro Suardi
Date: Thu Jul 24 2008 - 17:38:15 EST

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Robert Hancock <hancockr@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Andrew Morton wrote:
>>
>> : +config WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS
>> : + bool "Wireless extensions sysfs files"
>> : + default y
>> : + depends on WIRELESS_EXT && SYSFS
>> : + help
>> : + This option enables the deprecated wireless statistics
>> : + files in /sys/class/net/*/wireless/. The same information
>> : + is available via the ioctls as well.
>> : +
>> : + Say Y if you have programs using it (we don't know of any).
>> :
>> So if you've enabled CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS (and it correctly has
>> default y) then things should continue to work OK. And the deprecation
>> date of 2010 sounds reasonable. In fact generous, for us...
>>
>> So where's the problem?
>
> The Kconfig message implies that nobody uses the files. It needs to be
> updated to state that older versions of HAL do use them (and ideally what
> version this was changed).

I was also lured by the Kconfig text, so I changed the default, but
have noticed no breakage so far.

[asuardi@sandman linux-2.6.26-git11]$ grep WIRELESS_EXT .config
CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=y
# CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT_SYSFS is not set
[asuardi@sandman linux-2.6.26-git11]$ rpm -q hal
hal-0.5.11-2.fc9.i386

Is it because Fedora 9 hal is new enough or because I didn't do anything
to trigger the breakage ? Just curious.

--alessandro

"Give me love / Or give me hate
Give me anything that's not just ok"