Re: [stable] [patch 44/47] pxamci: fix byte aligned DMA transfers

From: Pierre Ossman
Date: Thu Jul 24 2008 - 16:34:29 EST

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:22:56 -0700 (PDT)
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pulling doesn't change the SHA1 ID of a commit, so _if_ it had been stable
> in the -mmc tree, it would have had the same commit in the kernel too.
> That's very much a design issue in git: the same commit always has the
> same ID. _ALWAYS_.
>
> So the fact that the ID changed implies that something odd happened in the
> -mmc tree. Most likely a rebase. And again, this implies that somebody
> rebased already-public commits, since otherwise nobody would have ever
> even seen the original SHA1 ID.

Indeed I did. Things got shuffled around a bit when I updated the
patch queue with more stuff and the old attempt hadn't gotten merged
yet.

> Which is not good behaviour, _exactly_ because it makes it much harder for
> people to work together - suddenly a commit that got reported (for
> whatever reason: bug-report or 'please backport', it's all the same issue
> in the end) no longer exists.

I've always considered my "for-linus" branch to be primarily that, but I
guess I can be more careful so that other people can use it as well.

Rgds
--
-- Pierre Ossman

WARNING: This correspondence is being monitored by the
Swedish government. Make sure your server uses encryption
for SMTP traffic and consider using PGP for end-to-end
encryption.