Re: [REGRESSION] 2.6.24/25: random lockups when accessing externalUSB harddrive

From: Alan Stern
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 10:25:49 EST

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Stefan Becker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ext Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Stefan Becker wrote:
> >
> >> HCD URB list locked by usb_hcd_link_urb_to_ep!
> >>
> >> As far as I understand the matter this only can happen if
> >> usb_hcd_link_urb_to_ep() gets interrupted while holding the spinlock.
> >> But according to the contract at the header of the function it should be
> >> called with interrupts disabled!
> >
> > So it should. Do you know how to test whether interrupts are enabled?
> > There's a routine called raw_irqs_disabled() defined in
> > include/asm/irqflags.h. Stick it inside usb_hcd_link_urb_to_ep, and
> > the first time it returns nonzero, do a dump_stack().

Typo: I should have said "the first time it returns zero..."

Do you have any of the RT patches installed?

> Tried both and got nothing. So either our reasoning is wrong or
> something really weird is going on. I'll try to improve my debugging
> code and use dump_stack() at the place where it locks up.

Well, it would be pretty surprising if spin_lock_irq or
spin_lock_irqsave were misbehaving.

Something else you should try is clearing your "owner" string just
before the spinlock is released. You could also add a check after the
release; if the spinlock can't be locked again immediately then
something is wrong.

Alan Stern