Re: ACPI: EC: GPE storm detected, disabling EC GPE

From: Alexey Starikovskiy
Date: Wed Jun 11 2008 - 06:29:21 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

On Sat 2008-06-07 23:28:08, Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
Justin Mattock wrote:
On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 6:55 AM, Andrew Morton

This issue just recently started, 2.6.25-rc9 and below don't give me
this message.

Yes, the problem which we are fighting here is that almost all Acer notebooks come with
broken EC. It sends interrupts not regarding the fact that we already ACKed it.
It comes unnoticed on almost all machines (some notice laggy keyboard, because it's the same controller after all and it's busy with sending ACPI interrupts and then providing same status byte over and over), but on some machines keystrokes become missing, which is not tolerable (#9998).

But the acer workaround breaks other machines, right?

As I know, the first workaround broke your machine,
may be you could check if it is broken now?
So what about

a) use dmi blacklist for acers?

It is not only Acers. ASUS eeePC is known to be affected, some Apple notebook too.
or

b) if EC storm is detected print message telling 'please pass
ec_polled=true if you experience keyboard problems', but do nothing
else?

There are no reports about broken machines for 2.6.26-rc5 beside #10724,
which has same broken controller, sending same amount of stray interrupts.
If there will be report from a good machine affected by this workaround then I will
certainly go with b)

Thanks,
Alex.