Re: [patch] sched: prevent bound kthreads from changing cpus_allowed

From: Max Krasnyanskiy
Date: Mon Jun 09 2008 - 16:59:38 EST

David Rientjes wrote:
2) Sometimes calls to kthread_bind are binding to any online cpu, such as in:

drivers/infiniband/hw/ehca/ehca_irq.c: kthread_bind(cct->task, any_online_cpu(cpu_online_map));

In such cases, the PF_THREAD_BOUND seems inappropriate. The caller of
kthread_bind() really doesn't seem to care where that thread is bound;
they just want it on a CPU that is still online.

This particular case is simply moving the thread to any online cpu so that it survives long enough for the subsequent kthread_stop() in destroy_comp_task(). So I don't see a problem with this instance.

A caller to kthread_bind() can always remove PF_THREAD_BOUND itself upon return, but I haven't found any cases in the tree where that is currently necessary. And doing that would defeat the semantics of kthread_bind() where these threads are supposed to be bound to a specific cpu and not allowed to run on others.

Actually I have another use case here. Above example in particular may be ok but it does demonstrate the issue nicely. Which is that in some cases kthreads are bound to a CPU but do not have a strict "must run here" requirement and could be moved if needed.
For example I need an ability to move workqueue threads. Workqueue threads do kthread_bind().
So how about we add something like kthread_bind_strict() which would set PF_THREAD_BOUND ?
We could also simply add flags argument to the kthread_bind() which would be better imo but requires more changes. ie It'd look like
kthread_bind(..., cpu, KTHREAD_BIND_STRICT);

Things like migration threads, stop machine, etc would use the strict version and everything else would use non-strict bind.

---
On the related note (this seems like the right crowd :). What do people think about kthreads and cpusets in general. We currently have a bit of a disconnect in the logic.
1. kthreads can be put into a cpuset at which point their cpus_allowed mask is updated properly
2. kthread's cpus_allowed mask is updated properly when cpuset setup changes (cpus added, removed, etc).
3. kthreads inherit cpuset from a parent (kthreadd for example) _but_ they either do kthread_bind() or set_cpus_allowed() and both of those simply ignore inherited cpusets.

Notice how scenario #3 does not fit into the overall picture. The behaviour is inconsistent.
How about this:
- Split sched_setaffinity into

sched_setaffinity()
{
task *p = get_task_by_pid();
return task_setaffinity(p);
}

task_setaffinity(task, cpumask, flags)
{
if (flags & FORCE) {
// Used for kthreads that require strict binding.
// Detach the task from the current cpuset
// and put it into the root cpuset.
// Set PF_THREAD_BOUND.
}

// Rest of the original sched_setaffinity logic
}

- Have kthreads call task_setaffinity() instead of set_cpus_allowed() directly.
That way the behaviour will be consistent across the board.

Comments ?

Max