Re: libata.force=1.5Gbps doesn't seem to work

From: Roger Heflin
Date: Sun Jun 08 2008 - 11:42:16 EST

Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
Ever since I changed to AHCI (by fiddling with random options in the
BIOS) my external SATA drive is being run at 3.0 Gbps. However it
doesn't seem reliable at that - maybe the cable is too long. (It is
probably about 80cm in total - one standard SATA cable going to the
case and another from the case to the drive).

I read in Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt that a command line of

libata.force=1.5Gbps

Should force all my SATA disks to 1.5 Gbps.

However this doesn't seem to work.

I cannot help with the option not working, but you might see if the drives can be jumpered to force 1.5Gbps, I know a number of the manufacturers have jumpers to force 1.5Gbps since a number of older chipsets (Via sata and probably others) don't properly auto-neg 1.5Gbps on a 3.0Gbps drive, and fail to work at all.

Roger