Re: [BUG] Linux 2.6.25.4 task_struct leak

From: Thorsten Knabe
Date: Sun Jun 08 2008 - 07:39:47 EST

Jeff Dike wrote:
> I misunderstood - I thought you were seeing a task_struct leak within
> UML rather than a leak on the host elicited by UML.
>
>> As far as I understand the UML code in the kernel, an UML kernel uses
>> some unusual clone() flags when creating new processes, which are seldom
>> used by other applications and could be related to the bug.
>
> Yes, it does. I don't see the flags causing a leak, though. What
> might be more likely (although I really have no idea) is ptrace.
> Possibly a reference is held when it should have been dropped. This
> might also show up with strace or gdb.

Hello Jeff.

Your assumption about ptrace causing the task_struct leak seems to be
right. I bisected the problem down to a few commits using the repository
at git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git.

Commit b7b71725fb9584454bfe5f231223bd63421798fb is the last known commit
that does not leak task_structs, whereas commit
a97f52e67890fda6b373c1c1895ff1c1c69b36c8 is leaking task_structs.
Revisions in between do not even compile.
Also I had to apply the changes from commit
f9cb02b0be4de3c51edfdd701754e13d9a2d20d6 to most of the kernels I have
tested, otherwise the UML process would crash on startup.

HTH
Thorsten

--
___