Re: [RFC: 2.6 patch] let GROUP_SCHED depend on BROKEN

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 13:56:32 EST

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 04:22:12PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> To make sure i'm accurate about this i just spent 15 minutes
> reviewing all your past commits to the Linux kernel using
> "git-shortlog --author=Bunk", and the rather sobering truth
> appears to be that:
>
> - you've _never_ before fixed a complex Linux kernel bug/problem

What is a "complex kernel problem"?

Just looking a bit through the last month:

E.g. http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/14/498 was not horribly complex, but
for 3 days noone else had bothered to answer the request of the driver
maintainer for help with this regression.

As you yourself said http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/676733
is something where I spotted a real bug just by reading through patches
on linux-kernel. The bug might or might not have been complex, but since
someone spotted it just when reading through patches (it's entirly
possible someone else might have spotted it as well, but we will never
know for sure) it never became a bug in any tree.

And for me stuff like http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/28/561 isn't complex,
but quite frankly my impression is that I'm currently one out of only
two people understanding our Kconfig files good enough for fixing such
stuff.

> - you've never before written a _single_ Linux kernel feature
> - you've never before written a _single_ Linux driver

True.

I am not a coder.
I am just a cleanup and QA guy.

I know that this makes me a persona non grata for some people on this
list, but I prefer doing what I'm good at (bugfixes and cleanup
patches, aiming at not introducing new bugs) over doing what I'm
bad at (writing code).

> - you've never before done any true self-driven functional
> changes/improvements to Linux

I'd claim having started regression tracking (which was 100% self-driven)
was a functional improvement for Linux kernel development - and I don't
care that you disagree on this.

> Ingo

cu
Adrian