Re: AIM7 40% regression with 2.6.26-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed May 07 2008 - 14:28:20 EST

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> [ this patch should in fact be a bit worse, because there's two more
> atomics in the fastpath - the fastpath atomics of the old semaphore
> code. ]

Well, it doesn't have the irq stuff, which is also pretty costly. Also, it
doesn't nest the accesses the same way (with the counts being *inside* the
spinlock and serialized against each other), so I'm not 100% sure you'd
get the same behaviour.

But yes, it certainly has the potential to show the same slowdown. But
it's not a very good patch, since not showing it doesn't really prove
much.

Linus