Re: AIM7 40% regression with 2.6.26-rc1

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed May 07 2008 - 13:16:57 EST

On Wed, 7 May 2008 10:08:18 -0700 (PDT) Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Which is why I'm 100% convinced it's not even worth saving the old code.
> It needs to use mutexes, or spinlocks. I bet it has *nothing* to do with
> "slow path" other than the fact that it gets to that slow path much more
> these days.

Stupid question: why doesn't lock_kernel() use a mutex?

(stupid answer: it'll trigger might_sleep() checks when we do it early in
boot with irqs disabled, but we can fix that)

(And __might_sleep()'s system_state check might even save us from that)

Of course, we shouldn't change anything until we've worked out why the new
semaphores got slower.