Re: 2.6.25.2 - Jiffies/Time jumping back and forth (Regereesion from 2.6.24)

From: john stultz
Date: Wed May 07 2008 - 13:08:08 EST

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 5:42 AM, Martin Knoblauch <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> any news on the one below? I upgraded to 2.6.25.2 and the problem still persists. Would adding a bugzilla actually help ? :-)
>

> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0804.2/1144.html

With this issue you're seeing is only the printk timestamps jumping
back, correct?

For example, you're not seeing the output from gettimeofday() or the
actual jiffies value (as seen from maybe a driver) jump backward? Is
that right?

The printk timestamps may jump around a bit at bootup, especially if
you have unsynced TSCs, so that is a known issue. However its not
known to have any actual negative effect other then maybe causing the
dmesg log to be a bit confusing.

thanks
-john