Re: Linux 2.6.26-rc1

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 19:36:52 EST

Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
On Tue, 06 May 2008 22:47:20 +0200
Stefan Richter <stefanr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Or another idea:

Copy _all_ dependencies of drivers which can be selected by "...if
^^^^
VIDEO_HELPER_CHIPS_AUTO" to VIDEO_HELPER_CHIPS_AUTO.

I actually did this for tuners, on this changeset (still not at mainstream):
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mchehab/v4l-dvb.git;a=commitdiff;h=d10b3c6817fb3fed8e6cd6d64d47c187a615c952

Yes... Except that it is very dangerous to /move/ dependencies, as you are apparently doing in that patch. When you use "select" somewhere, you should generally /copy/ dependencies.

Although something like

config VIRTUAL_META_OPTION
depends on REAL_DEPENDENCY

config THE_REAL_THING
depends on VIRTUAL_META_OPTION

does work if THE_REAL_THING actually depends on REAL_DEPENDENCY, it is safer if this dependency stays there, i.e.

config THE_REAL_THING
depends on REAL_DEPENDECY

or

config THE_REAL_THING
depends on REAL_DEPENDENCY && VIRTUAL_META_OPTION

or whatever, or equivalent constructs involving "if"..."endif".

(I presume that for example MEDIA_TUNER_TDA827X does indeed have a build dependency on DVB_CORE && I2C.)

Or in other words:

Since MEDIA_TUNER selects a bunch of options which itself have build dependencies, you /must/ duplicate all of their dependencies to MEDIA_TUNER. Well, actually you don't use plain "select", you use "select ... if !MEDIA_TUNER_CUSTOMIZE". So if you can ensure by other means that those 2nd level dependencies are guaranteed to be fulfilled whenever MEDIA_TUNER_CUSTOMIZE=n, then you don't need to duplicate the 2nd level dependencies into MEDIA_TUNER.

That's the same what I meant in my comment on VIDEO_HELPER_CHIPS_AUTO:

Those options which "select" video decoders generally /must/ contain duplicates of the dependency statements of the decoders which they select. Except, since you don't use plain "select" there but actually "select ... if VIDEO_HELPER_CHIPS_AUTO", you can alternatively put the duplicates of the dependency statements to VIDEO_HELPER_CHIPS_AUTO.
--
Stefan Richter