Re: intel-iommu: CONFIG_DMAR*=y kills my box

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 16:16:49 EST

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 01:04:45 +0200
Gabriel C <nix.or.die@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Guys, it's really painful having to scroll through thousand-line emails to
find a few lines of information. Please trim stuff.

> > I do find it quite odd that a DMA code path specific to PCIE is somehow
> > in the loop for a parallel port device. Should this be possible?
>
> I have no idea =) ( PCI folks added to CC )
>

> > I could easily be wrong so feel free to correct me but;
> > I think your bios is goofy / unprepared to support IOMMU / VT-d and
> > doing strange things with enumerated a parallel port on a PCIE bus with
> > VTD is turned on...
>
> I will contact ASUS peoples about the BIOS but it has for sure VT-d support and it is enabled.

So.. what happened here? It seems like a pretty fatal problem, and
personally I don't think that contacting vendors about BIOS upgrades is a
suitable general solution. It would be much better to find a kernel-based
fix or workaround?