Parsing Structures postmortem from memory dump

From: Adrian Sud
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 16:04:24 EST

Hi,

I am working on a project attempting to extend the volatility toolkit (www.volatilesystems.com) to read Linux memory; for now I am attempting to support Kernel 2.6.22-14 using i686 arch.

What I mean to do is have it first identify that the image is from a linux environment, and then parse out the processes that were running when the image was taken.

I've looked at /include/linux/sched.h and tried to understand the task_struct structure, but it appears to be variable-length, determined at compile time, and I can't tell exactly how these are stored throughout memory--In a list? a tree?

If anyone can point me to more information toward finding out how to trace this, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Adrian Sud

UMass Amherst
Dept. of Computer Science