Re: linux-next: WARNING: at kernel/panic.c:375 __stack_chk_test+0x50/0x54()

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 15:49:57 EST

Kevin Winchester wrote:
Arjan van de Ven wrote:
\
Does that help?

somewhat. If you still have your source tree, can you do

make kernel/panic.s and send that file to me as well?
(offlist is fine)

I didn't have the source tree around, but I created the tree+config, and here is what I get (I believe it is not too big for the list):

interesting; somehow gcc does NOT put stack-protector in place despite it being
told so with -fstack-protector-all.

# -fno-common -funit-at-a-time -fstack-protector -fstack-protector-all
# -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fno-omit-frame-pointer
# -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -fverbose-asm -fstack-protector
# -fstack-protector

this is weird; something is adding ANOTHER -fstack-protector to the (effective) gcc
flags.. which might be overriding the -fstack-protector-all setting.

I wonder if this is a distro special ;(