Re: Problems with -git14

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 15:13:29 EST

On Fri, May 02 2008, Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 01:11:51PM +0100, Hugh Dickins wrote:

> > > -git16 plus your patch gives me my 4 cpus again.
> >
> > I'm glad to hear this, thanks.
> >
> > > But I still get the warning:
> >
> > But sorry to hear this. That warning has undergone several revisions
> > already: I expect yours is another false positive not to worry about,
> > but it still needs to be fixed. I won't meddle in there, Cc'ed Jens
> > and Nick who will know what's appropriate.
>
> Thanks for the heads up Hugh. I think we're OK at this point because
> we're running in allocation/setup code so there should be no concurrency
> on queue_flags. I remember following this call chain and making this
> conclusion (hopefully correct, Jens?)... however I don't know how I
> concluded that the warning would not fire.

That's USUALLY correct, but not always. If blk_queue_init_tags() is
called for resizing depth, then it's a running queue and we should not
use _unlocked() for that. So basically they can all be _unlocked() due
to lack of concurrency at init time, but not this one:

} else if (q->queue_tags) {
rc = blk_queue_resize_tags(q, depth);
if (rc)
return rc;
queue_flag_set(QUEUE_FLAG_QUEUED, q);
return 0;
} ...

So if a driver ever re-calls blk_queue_init_tags() with a tag map
already set, then it needs to hold the queue lock.

--
Jens Axboe