Re: AIM7 40% regression with 2.6.26-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 12:37:18 EST

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> I've wanted to fix file locks for a while. Here's a first attempt.
> It was done quickly, so I concede that it may well have bugs in it.
> I found (and fixed) one with LTP.

Hmm. Wouldn't it be nicer to make the lock be a per-inode thing? Or is
there some user that doesn't have the inode info, or does anything that
might cross inode boundaries?

This does seem to drop all locking around the "setlease()" calls down to
the filesystem, which worries me. That said, we clearly do need to do
this. Probably should have done it a long time ago.

Also, why do people do this:

> -find_conflict:
> + find_conflict:

Hmm?