Re: [git patches] libata updates

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 12:24:25 EST

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> +config PATA_SCH
> + tristate "Intel SCH PATA support"
> + depends on PCI
> + help
> + This option enables support for Intel SCH PATA on the Intel
> + SCH (US15W, US15L, UL11L) series host controllers.
> +
> + If unsure, say N.

I think it would generally be good if people explained their drivers
better than this.

If you know what the hell an SCH is, you don't *need* that help message in
the first place! Agreed?

IOW, when adding drivers, please add help messages that actually explain
what the driver is from a *user* perspective, not from a chip designer
perspective. In this case, something like

The Intel SCH chipset is the new low-power, small-footprint
embedded chipset that is generally paired with the Atom CPU and is
not their normal PC chipset.

or something. So that people can actually make a somewhat informed guess
about whether it's relevant to them or not.

Linus