Re: Lost Sound from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25 -- CS4236 ISA

From: Rene Herman
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 11:51:01 EST

On 06-05-08 17:38, Pete Clements wrote:

Quoting Takashi Iwai
> > 2.6.24 and 2.6.25.
> > Could you elaborate what do you mean exactly "stop"? Fail to load or
> initialize the driver, or silent output, DMA error...?
> > > Sorry but don't know at what
> > point. Card is an isa CS4236. Glad to provide
> > any other info/testing.
> > Any relevant kernel messages are welcome. Also, if you passed any
> (module) options for the sound driver, show it, too.
> > The biggest change in ISA sound driver codes between 2.6.24 and 2.6.25
> is that we dropped the PnP resource re-configuration via module
> options of sound drivers. They have to be adjusted via sysfs now > (if really needed).
> > Otherwise, if it really worked on 2.6.24, we have a good chance to
> identify the affecting changeset via bisect. There are only a few
> changes for sound/isa.

All I get is a cyclic noise burst (about 500ms frequency). No options to module load, prior to 25 manually loaded modules
with 'modprobe snd-cs4236', with 25+ modules auto load at boot.

By removing "CONFIG_PNPBIOS" get total silence. So would assume the
PNP change the source.

Currently running 26-rc1-git4.

There have been quite a few post .25 changes to PnP. Is there a difference between .24 and .25 or between .24/.25 on the one hand and .26-rc1-git4 on the other?

Also, does using PNPACPI instead of PNPBIOS change anything?

Rene.