Re: Linux 2.6.26-rc1 - pgtable_32.c:178 pmd_bad

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 11:05:24 EST

* Hugh Dickins <hugh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > we have an strace/ptrace fix pending in x86.git - but that should
> > not affect khelper.
>
> No, it comes from your pmd_bad_v1/pmd_bad_v2 debug patch, which Linus
> objected to, yet has crept into his tree nonetheless.

hm, the main objection was about whether to turn PAGE_SIZE from unsigned
into signed though - and that we didnt do.

regarding the mm/memory.c changes you did - that's something i proposed
before but didnt really feel positive about it because it affected every
architecture.

lets sort it out.

> I looked back through the mails and logs on that, and disagree with
> most of what was done there. Here's my pending fix below, but I've
> not yet tested whether it builds correctly on all relevant configs,
> nor whether my pmd_huge does what's intended, nor written the
> necessary comments, nor worked out the Cc list - I'm going out for a
> short while, all those will follow later, this sent as a heads up to
> relieve Jeff from bisecting.
>
> Not-yet-Signed-off-by: Hugh Dickins <hugh@xxxxxxxxxxx>

i've thrown this into my queue to test it some more. I wont complain if
it breaks :)

Ingo