Re:Possible GPL violation in Linux-based IPTV set top box

From: Roland
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 15:27:16 EST

thanks for bringing this up !

i think this should be a better place to go:

regards
roland

List: linux-kernel
Subject: Re: Possible GPL violation in Linux-based IPTV set top box
From: Arjan van de Ven <arjan () infradead ! org>
Date: 2008-05-05 4:40:17
[Download message RAW]

On Sun, 4 May 2008 23:47:24 -0400
Robert Kelly III <bluethegrappler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The company I work for, SkyAngel, has recently swapped from satelite
broadcast to IPTV. The set top box we are using runs Linux according
to NeuLion, our partner company who supplies the STB. When we
distribute the set top boxes, however, there is no disclaimer of
warranty, copy of the GPL, offer for source code, or any mention of
Linux as far as I can find. Isn't this a violation of the GPL and
your copyright? I have raised concerns about the situation, but
everyone here seems convinced it is somehow ok.

What should be done about this? I am not sure who would be
responsible as it seems NeuLion or some associate makes the STB and
takes care of the software, but we sell it to our customers. Is there
any possible way I might have missed that this could actually be
permissible?

you should ask a lawyer, not here; your question is offtopic for this
list... there's no lawyers here.

Or if that's a really big step, you could ask Harald Welte or the
Software Freedom Law Center; both have a lot of experience with this
sort of thing.