VFS + path walktrough

From: Enrico Weigelt
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 08:41:21 EST

Hi folks,

could anyone please enlighten me, what exactly happens when
some app opens an file with some longer pathname ?

Lets say we open /a/b/c/d and /a is mounted w/ some network
filesystem (eg. 9P). Who exactly does the walktrough from b to d ?
The individual filesystem or VFS ?

The point is: the 9P protocol can work with whole pathnames, so
the client doesn't have to do the walkthrough manually - this
can heavily reduce traffic and latency. I'd like the 9P fs driver
to directly use this, if VFS can send the whole pathname at once.

cu