Re: i387/FPU init issues...

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sun May 04 2008 - 17:40:54 EST

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Saturday 2008-05-03 19:39, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
great. So this NOP is indeed not generally known to all "P6 and later" CPUs. (the PII)
Looks like. My analysis was wrong, as I got the P6 vs. PII/PIII
confused :) Damn unintutive numbering, I thought ARM is worse but I'm
not so sure anymore.

Guess that Intel named it Pentium II either because Hexium
("5"86:Pentium, "6"86:Hexium) would have been a strange name, or the
successor to the Pentium/586 was not that great an improvement.
Or something else? Always kept me wondering.

Yeah, "Hexium" didn't quite work, and they thought they'd already gotten a working brand with "Pentium". That it clashed with their previous public prerelease naming scheme of P+number ("P", I believe, for "project" or "processor") didn't matter.

The Pentium 4 is properly called the P7, but almost noone calls it that.

"Pentium" is also a highly unstable isotope of hydrogen (Hydrogen-5), with a half-life under a zeptosecond.

-hpa