Re: Sharing disks amoung multiple software RAIDs

From: David Greaves
Date: Fri May 02 2008 - 04:26:06 EST

Kasper Sandberg wrote:
> Im not treating it as a backup, what i want, is to make sure that if 1
> disk dies, the data is still intact and ill hopefully be able to run
> with 1 disk till the newly ordered one arrives
Probably one of the main design objectives behind RAID/md

> So my question remains.. Is md raid1 not suited for this need? would it
> be safer to run in non-raid1 mode and daily(maybe hourly) rsync
> everything over to the second disk?

md is 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
rsync is 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
your backups are 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
your hard drives are 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
your CPU and RAM are 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...
your CPU and PSU fans are 100% guaranteed perfect or your money back...

Clearly if you want to panic over reliability you have lots of choices :)

David
PS, FWIW md has saved my data* countless times over the past 'n' years in
exactly the scenario you describe.

*(or more accurately has saved me from having to restore my data)