Re: Why such a big difference in init-time PCI resource call-paths (x86 vs x86_64) ?

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri May 02 2008 - 03:56:43 EST

> FYI, from what I've read, Windows ignores e820 for detecting resource
> reservations and looks at ACPI reservations only (at least if it's
> running in ACPI mode which these days is almost universal). It seems
> Windows really only uses e820 for locating RAM areas..

The usual problem is that they don't use that on older systems
but a different HAL (or XP doesn't run at all on these older systems).
But Linux still wants to run on older systems, ideally without
special settings too.

So if it's done like this it likely needs some date or other heuristic to
decide if it should trust ACPI or should not.

-Andi