Re: microblaze syscall list

From: John Williams
Date: Fri May 02 2008 - 03:08:43 EST

Arnd Bergmann wrote:
On Monday 28 April 2008, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

How about this strategy then:
* Change all the data types and syscall numbers in the -for-2.6.27
branch to only include the minimal set, and a modern ABI
* Add the old interfaces as an out-of-tree patch that adds source
level compatibility with the old libc, but does not modify any
of the new interfaces, so that a patched kernel can run all binaries
built for the upstream version.
* phase out the old source interface gradually, as all users update
their libc source code.

Any news on this from the microblaze people? Have you made up your mind
on what route you want to go?

I think we're still digesting it. I need to sync up with Michal and the Xilinx people. The libc and kernel API changes have to happen in tandem, otherwise Michal can't properly test the kernel he's pushing.

I am the defacto MicroBlaze uClibc and toolchain "builder" but somewhat reluctantly - am trying to convince Xilnx to hand that over to someone who is expert at it.

Michal, John L, any thoughts?

John