Re: This month's price for the most useless new Kconfig help text ...

From: Roland
Date: Thu May 01 2008 - 18:02:43 EST

(I agree that Kconfig helps like "CONFIG_FUSION: Say Y here to get to
see options for Fusion Message Passing Technology (MPT) drivers" do not
help much, I just didn't know that people were now actually caring about
having some real explanations beyond the usual "if you don't know what
it is, you don't need it, just say no")

Speaking of which I remember how I was confused when I found out that this driver
is the linux driver for "SCI logic" SCSI vmware adapter :-)

to be exact, it`s CONFIG_FUSION_SPI and that makes mptspi build, which is
a driver for LSI53C1030 type controller, which also exists in real world.
vmware just emulates this hardware.

menuconfig FUSION
bool "Fusion MPT device support"
depends on PCI
---help---
Say Y here to get to see options for Fusion Message
Passing Technology (MPT) drivers.
This option alone does not add any kernel code.

you are right, this is confiusing and confused me and others, too.

not a single word that this is for LSILogic type controllers.

Maybe that can/should be changed to "LSI Fusion MPT device support", "Say Y here to get to see options for drivers
based on LSI Fusion Message Passing Technology (MPT)" !?

regards
roland