Re: Slow DOWN, please!!!

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Thu May 01 2008 - 12:40:52 EST

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:52:44 PDT, "H. Peter Anvin" said:

> This fragmentation is largely intentional, of course -- everyone can
> pick a risk level appropriate for them -- but it does mean:
>
> a) The lag for a patch to ride through the pipeline is pretty long.
> b) The section of people who are going to use the more aggressive trees
> for "real work" testing is going to be small.

And another problem is that often, it's hard to get good "real work" coverage
over the whole tree. I just discovered an apparent borkage somewhere in
the networking/wireless area that seems to have gotten into Linus's tree
somewhere between 24-rc8 and 24-final, just because I haven't beaten on
my wireless card in the last few weeks, so I didn't notice a regression in
'ip link show' related to the rfkill switch...