Re: Slow DOWN, please!!!

From: Tarkan Erimer
Date: Thu May 01 2008 - 08:31:48 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
So David's Subject: should have been "Do Better, please". Slowing down is
just a side-effect. And, we expect, a tool.

To improve the quality of kernel releases, maybe we can create a special kernel testing tool.
This tool should have :

- Can check known bugs, regressions, compile errors etc.

- The design should be modular (plug-in support). So, easily these regressions, known bugs etc. should be implemented.

- It should have a git support. So,when hit a bug, this tool should have ability to bisect the commits which automates to finding buggy commits.

- It should have console interface and X interface. So; not just developers, also users, who wants to help to find out the issues, can contribute easily.

Just a few things came to my mind when thought about it. Any more ideas/suggestions welcomed :-) Also, we can create a web site for this project and we can identify the known regressions, bugs etc. So, easily who wants to contribute some code about this tool, easily find out these issues. If anyone interests to create/lead such a tool like this, I can host a website about this project on our system.

Cheers

Tarkan