Re: Linux 2.6.25

From: Len Brown
Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 - 23:47:19 EST

On Sunday 20 April 2008, Matthew wrote:
> > sure, I'll test-drive the vanilla-kernel, too
> >
> > thanks
>
> ok, tested the vanilla-kernel this morning and it shows the exact high
> temperatures (with CONFIG_THERMAL=y)
>
> I've got a question:
>
> when trying to disable thermal it just sits there & won't change:
> <*> Hardware Monitoring support --->
> -*- Generic Thermal sysfs driver --->
>
> it seemingly depends on other things:
> Selected by: ACPI_THERMAL && !X86_VOYAGER && ACPI && ACPI_PROCESSOR
>
> is it safe to disable acpi_processor and acpi or CONFIG_THERMAL in
> general ? or will it burn down my box ? ;)
>
> I'm asking this because it says/writes:
> CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL: │
> │ │
> │ This driver adds support for ACPI thermal zones. Most mobile and │
> │ some desktop systems support ACPI thermal zones. It is HIGHLY │
> │ recommended that this option be enabled, as your processor(s) │
> │ may be damaged without it.

Don't worry about it -- that is sort of an exageration.
In fact, it is your disk drive that will fry first:-)

# CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL is not set
# CONFIG_THERMAL is not set

Should be just fine, particularly for experimentation.
In the case of a desktop system, ACPI_THERMAL is generally there
just for processor throttling -- which would typically
only be needed if you removed your heatsink
or had some other serious cooling issue.
And even if it is not there, a 2nd defense,
the processor hardware thermal throttling would kick
in automatically at a slightly higher temperature...

-Len