Re: OLPC: Add support for calling into Open Firmware

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 11:02:49 EST

Jordan Crouse wrote:

This is off topic slightly, but let it be known that the coreboot project
considers OFW a very valid option for x86 platforms. A kernel that
worked happily with OFW would greatly encourage people to adopt it in
lieu of other BIOS / firmware solutions.

I return you to your previously scheduled debate.

The interface they are proposing is definitely not suitable for upward extension, for the reasons already mentioned. However, they have units in the field, and the amount of changes required to support another interface should be relatively minor.

Hence my insistence that we don't promote it as *the* OFW interface, but *a* OFW interface.

-hpa