Re: x86: 4kstacks default

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Apr 20 2008 - 12:04:04 EST

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 08:41:27AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> yes. Adrian is waay off in the weeds on this one. Nobody but him is suggesting to remove
> 8Kb stacks. I think everyone else agrees that having both options is valuable; and there
> are better ways to find+fix stack bloat than removing this config option.

I'm not arguing for removing the option immediately, but long-term we
shouldn't need it.

This comes from my experience of removing obsolete drivers for hardware
for which also a more recent driver exists:
As long as there is some workaround (e.g. using an older driver or
8k stacks) the workaround will be used instead of the getting proper
bug reports and fixes.

As far as I know all problems that are known with 4k stacks are some
nested things with XFS in the trace.

If this class of issues would get fixed one day, why would it be
valuable to also offer 8k stacks long-term? Especially weigthed
against the fact that with only 4k stacks we will have more people
running into stack problems in -rc kernels if any new ones pop up,
resulting in getting more such problems fixed during -rc.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed