Re: 2.6.25-mm1: not looking good

From: Jason Wessel
Date: Fri Apr 18 2008 - 17:56:14 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Jason Wessel <jason.wessel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>> [...] The final initcall is init_kgdbts() and disabling KGDB
>>> prevents the hang.
>>>
> incidentally, just today, in overnight testing i triggered a similar
> hang in the KGDB self-test:
>
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/misc/config-Thu_Apr_17_23_46_36_CEST_2008.bad
>
> to get a similar tree to the one i tested, pick up sched-devel/latest
> from:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/sched-devel.git/README
>
> pick up that failing .config, do 'make oldconfig' and accept all the
> defaults to get a comparable kernel to mine. (kgdb is embedded in
> sched-devel.git.)
>
> the hang was at:
>
> [ 12.504057] Calling initcall 0xffffffff80b800c1: init_kgdbts+0x0/0x1b()
> [ 12.511298] kgdb: Registered I/O driver kgdbts.
> [ 12.515062] kgdbts:RUN plant and detach test
> [ 12.520283] kgdbts:RUN sw breakpoint test
> [ 12.524651] kgdbts:RUN bad memory access test
> [ 12.529052] kgdbts:RUN singlestep breakpoint test

So I pulled your tree and I would agree there was a problem. But it
seems unrelated to kgdb. I bisected the tree because it worked starting
with the kgdb-light merge.

It fails once with the patch below, but it is not clear as to why other
than the lock must have something to do with it.

I'll submit a patch to the kgdb test suite to increase the amount of
loops through the single step test as it is it can definitely catch
things :-)

Jason.