Re: Smartmedia/xd card support - request for comments

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 09:18:19 EST

Alex Dubov wrote:
--- Ben Dooks <ben@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 01:50:33AM -0700, Alex Dubov wrote:
I've implemented, with generous help from JMicron, a native support for Smartmedia/xD picture
card
media. Currently, only JMicron backend is available, but TI expressed some interest in this
too,
so TI Flashmedia backend may soon follow.

Smartmedia cards are quite akin to the dumb flash chips, but they have their quirks that put
them
aside as a separate media type.
They're NAND chips, just with a standard ECC/block replacement
stratergy... why isn't this under drivers/mtd ?

They have nothing to do with JFFS or UBI (it's an interchange format).
They require FTL.

Or does using them according to the interchange spec require FTL?

(That is, it would be really cool to finally have a supported MTD device that doesn't need to be soldered on to the motherboard, so I could plug the thing in and run UBIFS / JFFS2 / whatever. I wouldn't be able to use it for a camera, then, but it would be great for little machines that don't need full hard drives, or for developing MTD filesystems on readily-available hardware.)

--Andy