Re: [v2.6.26] what's brewing in x86.git for v2.6.26

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 03:26:19 EST

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:23:38 +0200 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> what's brewing in x86.git for v2.6.26?

How much of this has not been in -mm?

How much of this has not been in linux-next?

> too many topics to list them all - there are 884 patches from 74 authors
> at the moment.
>
> a few highlights:
>
> - 4096 CPUs support. (Yes, such big boxes exist, and they run Linux.)
>
> - mmiotrace feature: trace accesses to hw components to help figure out
> how they are programmed.
>
> - kmemcheck feature: Valgrind for the native Linux kernel in essence -
> detects access to uninitialized memory.
>
> - ftrace plugin for sysprof

sysprof is crap.

> - fixed StackProtector security feature (these fixes were too intrusive
> for v2.6.25)
>
> - lazy FPU allocation/speedup - offloaded/large FPU/SSE state support
>
> - SMP-boot, mpparse, DMA ops unification
>
> - PAT support - first step towards phasing out MTRR's for cache
> attribute control
>
> - enable GBPAGES - faster TLB misses on CPUs that support it
>
> - debug helper: view kernel pagetable layout via debugfs

Needs documentation.

> x86: introduce /dev/mem restrictions with a config option

This should be runtime-settable, not build-time settable.

> Randy Dunlap (2):
> linux-next: Tree for April 10 (arch/x86)

borked patch title.

> Soren Sandmann (1):
> x86: add the debugfs interface for the sysprof tool

There were serious objections that this is weaker than and duplicative of
oprofile which were not adequately addressed.

Also, I (and apparently only I) actually reviewed the implementation and
found it to be riddled with bugs and shortcomings. afacit this was
completely ignored and you propose to merge it anwyay?

I obviously don't have time to go through it all, but I'm afraid I cannot
be very confident in it. All I can say is "the parts which have been in
-mm seem to compile and run". A quick grep indicates that only 644 of
these 884 patches are in -mm. And a lot of them only turned up a week or
two ago.