Re: No IDE drivers loaded for Toshiba Satellite 320 CDS

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 19:51:41 EST

> The problem here is determining whether a machine is "legacy" or not.
> So far in this discussion I've seen no suggestions how to do that (except
> maybe for my test whether /sys/bus/isa is present), which would mean asking
> _all_ users, and that's a damned ugly option.

Libata pata_legacy handles this itself for all known cases using the
ruleset

IF any PCI device -> no PATA legacy scans beyond IDE0/IDE1
IF any PCI IDE in legacy compat mode -> No pata_legacy bind to that port
IF CS55x0 or MPIIX -> read the chipset magic [these are the obscure 'not
PCI but not ISA' specials]

Alan