Re: file offset corruption on 32-bit machines?

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 05:41:23 EST

Bryan Henderson wrote:
> The easiest way to imagine a program not doing locking and being useful
> anyway (as long as the kernel is thread-safe) is to use the same arguments
> you use for the kernel doing it: there's a higher level user responsible
> for locking. The code in question doesn't guarantee that user writes all
> its stuff to the right place, but at least it guarantees that that user's
> lack of locking doesn't screw some other user of the file. It does that
> by ensuring it never seeks to a place the user doesn't own and that no two
> separate users ever access the file at the same time.
>
> I'd even like to accomodate the poor user trying to debug the broken
> locking in his application. He sees the file getting corrupted and
> immediately thinks, "what if my thread serialization isn't working right?"
> But he notices that the corruption isn't consistent with that hypothesis.
> He knows he was working with only the beginning and the end of the file
> and the corruption happened in the middle. So he wastes a week
> considering other hypotheses, including a kernel bug, until someone points
> out a paragraph in the lseek() man page that says contrary to all Unix
> convention, that particular function and system call is not thread-safe,
> and it doesn't necessarily seek to the place mentioned in its argument.

I think that argument is the strongest yet. Wasted debugging time due
to totally surprising and hardly justifiable kernel behaviour. Strace
/ GDB on the application shows a trace which doesn't relate at all to
the unexpected file changes.

There is also POSIX specification:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/xsh_chap02_09.html

"All functions defined by this volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 shall
be thread-safe, except that the following functions need not be
thread-safe."

[List which does not include lseek(), therefore lseek() shall be
thread-safe. Same for read() and write().]

Docs for HP-UX and AIX say the same as POSIX about thread-safety.

-- Jamie