Re: [patch 1/1] x86, ptrace: PEBS support

From: stephane eranian
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 04:52:15 EST

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Should we skip the RLIMIT_MEMLOCK check if capable(CAP_IPC_LOCK)?
>
> FWIW I don't think we should. They are not really related.

That is true even though I see in mlock() that both are actually used.
I don't check against capabilities in perfmon, but I check RLIMIT_MEMLOCK
for the sampling buffer.

I see the capset()/capget() syscalls, however, I am still not clear as to how a
sysadmin could set up the capabilities for users via PAM or other
security interface.

> > It's a fairly large patch.
>
> The original version was much smaller -- a lot of the increase came out of
> review feedback for "more infrastructure" etc. I don't think you can blame
> Markus for that.

I believe the patch could potentially be broken into multiple pieces:
ds/bts, pebs, ptrace.